- Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference, 9AM–9PM, Bread Loaf Campus, Ripton. Lectures and readings are free and open to the public; see middlebury.edu for schedule. (Writing)
- Basic Bike Maintenance, 5:30–6:30PM, Skirack, Burlington. Free. (Bikes)
- Mount Mansfield Scale Modelers, 6:30–8:30PM, Brownell Library, Essex Junction. Free. (Modelers)
- Summer Sci-Fi Film Series – It Came from Outer Space. 7PM, Town Hall Theater, Middlebury. $3. (Movies)
- Chess Club, 7PM, Faith United Methodist Church, South Burlington. $2-3. (Chess)
- Zoom In on Zebra Mussels, 12:30PM, ECHO Lake Aquarium and Science Center/Leahy Center for Lake Champlain, Burlington. Regular admission, $9.50-12.50; free for kids 2 and under. (Kids)
- ‘Ice Ages, Glaciers and Fossils — Oh My!’ Geological history of Button Bay and the Lake Champlain Basin. 3–3:30PM, Button Bay State Park, Vergennes. Regular park day-use fee, $2-3. (Fossils)
- Panel Discussion – The role food plays in our lives. 6:30PM, Amy E. Tarrant Gallery, Flynn Center, Burlington. Free. (Food)
- ‘Cinderella’, 7:30PM, Lebanon Opera House, Lebanon. $25-85. (Theater)
- ‘Ten-Fest’, 8PM, Valley Players Theater, Waitsfield. $8-10. (Theater)
- ‘Wicked City’, 8PM, Depot Theatre, Westport. $25. (Theater)
- Book Talk, 11AM–12PM, Flying Pig Bookstore, Shelburne. Free. (Books)
- Warmachine / Hordes, 5pm – 11pm, Quarterstaff Games Gamespace, Burlington. (Gaming)
- Planetarium presentation: KEPLER and the Search for New Worlds 11:00 am, Fairbanks Museum, St. Johnsbury. $5/person. (Science)
- Color Mixing, 11:00 am, Monshire Museum of Science, Norwich. (Kids)
- Fossils: Evidence of the Past. 3pm, Monshire Museum of Science, Norwich. (Kids)
This summer, the Middlebury Town Hall Theater will begin a summer run of science fiction films, with E.T.: The Extraterrestrial screening tonight. According to Shelburne News, the screening is part of a fundraising drive for the 2011-2012 season: “Aliens Demand: Take Me to Your Theater!”. Prior to the film will be a screening of the 1902 French short film ‘A Trip to the Moon‘ with live accompaniment by Aaron Morse.
Films to follow this summer are ‘It Came from Outer Space‘, on August 18th, with a talk by Filmmaker Tim Joy, and with ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind‘ on the big screen on September 1st, with a talk by filmmaker Daniel Frye.
All tickets will be $3, and will be held on their respective nights at 7pm. More information can be found at (802) 382-9222, and you can purchase tickets ahead of time.