A Game of Thrones board game. Photo by François Philipp.
Bakuretsu Con hosts a monthly game night at the Brownell Library in Essex Junction, starting June 10th. From the Facebook event listing:
Join us for a new Bakuretsu Con hosted event. The Bakuretsu Con Monthly Gaming Night! Come and play board games and card games. There will be plenty of games on hand or bring your own! This event is FREE to the public!
Bakuretsu has hosted anime- and gaming-centric conventions since 2002, when they came on the scene. Recently, they’ve begun sprinkling shorter events throughout the year, in addition to their big three day weekend anime convention in the fall. This latest event is wonderful news. Of late, Vermonters seem spoiled for choice when it comes to places and times to play tabletop games. That Bakuretsu’s partnered with a library is icing on the cake. When geekdoms align, wonderful things happen.
I’m out of the country for the next week and a bit, so these lists might be a bit out of date. We’ve got a list of 30 or so websites that we check every morning – that list can be found here. (Let us know if there’s something that we have to add up)
- Way to Go! Commuter Challenge – Visit waytogovt.org for details. 12AM–11:59PM, Various locations statewide. Free. (Environment)
- Build Your Own Rain Barrel, 5:30–7PM, Public Works Building, South Burlington. $25. (Water)
- Mt. Mansfield Scale Modelers, 6:30–8:30PM, Brownell Library, Essex Junction. Free. (Models)
- All-Community Youth Art Festival, 8AM–9PM, Various locations, Woodstock. Various prices. (Youth)
- Chess Club, 7PM, Faith United Methodist Church, South Burlington. $2-3. (Chess)
- Open Computer Time, 3–4:30PM, Fletcher Free Library, Burlington. Free. (Teens)
- Morning Bird Walk. Preregister, 7–9AM, Shelburne Farms, Shelburne. $6. (Birds)
- Media Maven Luncheon, 12–1:30PM, Channel 17 Studios, Burlington. $5-15; additional $5 for lunch. (Tech)
- ‘Facebook 101 and More’, 8–10AM, Franklin Conference Center, Rutland. $20-25. (Tech)
- Susan Morse – “Bobcats, Bears, Cougars, Moose … and More!”, 6–8PM, Library, Vergennes Union High School & Middle School, Vergennes. Donations accepted. (Nature)
- ‘The Crucible’, 7:30PM, Fuller Hall, St. Johnsbury Academy, St. Johnsbury. $5-10. (Theater)
- The Moth – An evening of storytelling with a metamorphosis theme. 7PM, Big Picture Theater & Café, Waitsfield. $10. (Theater)
- Warmachine / Hordes, 5pm – 11pm, Quarterstaff Games Gamespace, Burlington. (Gaming)
- Author Signing: Jack McDevitt, 7:00pm – 10:00pm, Flights of Fantasy Books and Games, Albany NY. (Author Signing)
- Alan Benoit, Sustainable Living Series, 7pm, Northshire Bookstore, Manchester. (Environment)