Vermont College has announced its finalists (via VPR) for the 2018 Vermont Book Award, an award that honors “work of outstanding literary merit by Vermont authors.” Winners for the award include poet Kerrin McCadden (2015), Major Jackson (2016), and Jensen Beach (2017).
This year’s finalists are:
- The Bear and the Nightingale (Fiction) by Katherine Arden
- Breaking Bread: A Baker’s Journey Home in 75 Recipes (CNF) by Martin Philip
- Fasting and Feasting: The Life of Visionary Food Writer Patience Gray (CNF) by Adam Federman
- Grand Canyon (Children’s Lit, Picture Book) by Jason Chin
- Girl Rising: Changing the World One Girl at a Time (Children’s Lit, YA fiction) by Tanya Lee Stone
- Event Boundaries (Poetry) by April Ossmann
- Selected Delanty (Poetry) by Greg Delanty
The books are nominated by a committee of independent bookstores in four categories: Children’s Literature, Creative Nonfiction, Fiction, and Poetry. Their suggestions are whittled down by a panel of judges, and the winner of the award will be announced at the Vermont Book Award Gala in September. The winner gets a $5,000 cash prize.